The Active Reader series is based on the premise that fluent readers actively engage with the text, using a variety of strategies. Each workbook provides ten carefully levelled reading passages relating to five popular themes: people, relationships, health and safety, environment, and history. Each unit aims to engage learners in the process of active reading by providing:
- pre-reading discussion questions that encourage students to connect the passage to their lives
- a non-fiction passage with strategically placed "stop and think" questions
- post-reading questions that promote reflection, critical reading, and discussion
- a mini-lesson that provides explicit instruction to reinforce a key comprehension strategy
- activities that develop word attack, vocabulary, and dictionary skills
- an authentic literacy practice that focuses on how people use literacy in their day-to-day lives.
Each workbook has an answer key.